Saturday, April 7, 2012

Over/Under

The Over:

Sometimes I’m completely over stimulated.  Like this morning when my baby decided to wake up at 6 and then my toddler hears her crying and wakes up crying as well.  Panic Button.  Where is that button because I need to press it and call in the troops before my day gets away from me at 6:45 am.  It was crying madness.  And I wanted to curl up in a ball and roll myself out of there.
Later on, we were supposed to go to an Easter egg hunt at 10 am.  The newsletter said, 10 am SHARP!!  Ok, should I roll my eyes now or later?  At 9:45, my toddler decides she wants to sit on the potty for 15 minutes and the baby is still snoozing away!  So, she is sitting on the potty; doing nothing.  At 9:55, the baby is just getting dressed; toddler still on potty.  I’m perspiring; wondering if I even managed to put on my deodorant this morning .  At 10:05, I’m trying to get jackets on and the bottle prepared.  In the car at 10:10.  We roll in at 10:18; parking too far away and having to hop a fence.  Egg hunt is over.  SNARF!
“You missed the whole thing,” my friend said.  The egg hunt took a whopping 5 minutes, and we missed every single minute of it.  It was an over stimulating morning and I just didn’t have time on my side.  It happens.       
The Under:
Honestly, yesterday was a very under stimulating day.  I thought to myself; if I change one more poopie diaper today, I am going to scream.  6 before the clock struck noon.  Sometimes I’m completely under stimulated.  I’m walking up the stairs to change my toddler when my baby farts and poops as I hold her.  Suddenly I am exhausted.  Do I really have to change them both right now?  These are my thoughts.  Really?  I am so completely under stimulated from this process that I might just heave myself into the poopie garbage can. 
I mean really?!  There are times when I am knee deep in complete and utter dullness.  That same morning, my daughter is watching Angelina Ballerina and my baby is crawling back and forth from the stair to the fireplace.  Stair to fireplace.  Stair to fireplace.  I’m thinking I should bring them somewhere, do something…but I cannot seem to peel myself off the floor.  It looks sunny outside, I probably should bring them out, but the jacket process seems like too much effort.  This is the definition of an under stimulating morning.  It happens.
The Over/Under:
The ‘over/under’ of it all is that there are going to be days of complete madness and days of complete tedium; moments of one or the other.  But there will also be moments of balance.  Those are the ones I cherish.  And it happened at the egg hunt as I watched my daughter follow the Easter bunny around in absolute delight as I fed my baby her bottle on a warm sunny day; talking to a friend; relaxing; looking across the way and seeing my husband talk to other dads.  Balance.  No over…no under.  Middle ground.   That moment is so worth it.  I will gladly take the over and under any day if it means I will achieve this sense of steadiness that completely fills my heart and keeps me wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment