Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Shock Value


I was in Starbucks the other day holding my 1 year old.  An older man, probably in his early 70’s commented on how cute she was.  He went on to ask me if she was my first.  I told him it was actually my second.  (My 3 year old was home with grandma).  He responded, “I had 3,” and rolled his eyes.  I said, “How was that?”  He made me laugh when he said, “By the 3rd one, you forget about them and just leave them everywhere.”  I left the store giggling to myself. 
But, it got me thinking….
Clearly he was joking but it led me to question; is the shock over by the 3rd?  So, I went on a hunt.  I’ve been talking to other moms and dads about what they think the biggest shock was to them.  Was it the shock of their first brand spanking new baby?  What??  I’m in charge of THIS!!!! HOW? Or, is it when the 3rd one arrives?!  “Two of us.  3 of them.  Do the math.
After talking, asking, and wondering, I have come to these semi-conclusions
0-1
It is a lifestyle shock.  Your entire life will now completely change (if you are a good parent at least).   It isn’t feasible to do late nights out, multiple times a week.  If you do, you feel like complete crap when you have to wake up at 5 in the morning or earlier, or even a couple of times at night.  Sleep deprivation is big.  Those people, who used to be able to sleep until 10 am on the weekends, now have to get used to the “new”morning.   

Rise and shine Mommy and Daddy, baby is awake and needs a bottle, a diaper change, and entertainment.  I hope you aren’t hung-over.

Not only do you have to get used to a lifestyle change, you have to get used to the idea of being selfless.  You can’t go from here to there to here and there again.  Well, you can but make sure to have a strong arm to hold that heavy carrier seat.  And make sure to have a bottle, burp clothes, snacks as they grow, and some toys…maybe a blanket to lay down on the floor, a binky, a sweatshirt in case it gets cold, extra diapers and wipes, a change of clothes in case they spew on themselves, ETC, ETC, ETC. 
You are a family now.  Your baby is your TOP PRIORITY!  Soooooo….get ready to WORRY about this top priority.  New parents reach a whole new level of anxiety. 

Are they sleeping too long?  Check their breathing. 
WHY DID SHE JUST SPIT UP SO MUCH?  Is she sick? 
Should I Google why my baby is not rolling over yet at 3 months??!    
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Finding time for yourself gets easier as the baby gets older, but when that baby is born (and through that first couple of months), get ready to have some shaggy hair, tired eyes, and a baby in your arms at most times.  AND…get ready to rely heavily on HELP---any way you can get it.  1 baby…Welcome to parenthood! 

Shock Value-7

1-2
Divide and conquer?!  ---OR, get ready for them to conquer you!!!  Haha!  When my second daughter was born, I headed straight to the doctor within the first 2 weeks because I couldn’t catch my breath.  “Are you overwhelmed?” the doctor asked me.  “No,” I responded.  “I’ve done this before.”  “You’ve had 2 children before??”  Ummmmm….no.  Am I in for it?  Is this anxiety?  Am I in shock?

With 2, you must divide your time, energy and responsibility.  At first, it is extremely overwhelming.  You have late nights again with the baby and then managing your bundle of energy toddler during the day??!  Wait…when do I put down my screaming infant to tend to my screaming toddler??? If it was a weighted scale, it would be hovering on even.  At that point, you just have to juggle it.  You have to figure it out.  That attention that overflowed with 1 gets cut in half with 2.   “Me” time also gets cut in half.  When you had one and he or she slept, you were good.  You had time to unwind.  It was nice.  Ahhhh, we would lay on the couch on a Sunday afternoon and drift off watching football.  With 2, one is always up and in need of your attention.  Now you have 2 meals at a time, 2 butts to wash, 2 bed time routines, 2 babies to keep happy; double the work.  Double as hard.  When talking to other moms, I have found that 1-2 is the Biggest Shock of all.  All of the sudden, one seems like a breeeeezzzzeee!  Remember when?! 

Shock Value-8.5
2-3
Numb to the chaos. 
I was at the park last week and a random grandmother was there with her grandson.  We started talking and she asked me if I was going to “go for the boy.”  I’ve probably heard that 40,000 times.  But, I don’t mind much.  It doesn’t really bother me.  “If I did, I know I would get a girl,” I said honestly and with a smile. 
“3 is a big decision,” she responded.  “You have to think about the expense of children.” 
Uh huh.  (Nodding my head).  Gotcha.  As if I didn’t know that random grandma stranger.   Thanks for the tip.
Drawbacks of 3: It is harder to get someone to watch your 3 kids.  People are less likely to want to babysit with 3 versus 1 and 2.  (So I’ve heard)
I don’t have the experience of going from 2-3 but I have talked to a lot of moms who have.  They found it to be manageable.  Even my mother-in-law said that having the third wasn’t as hard.  You are already knee deep in.  I hear that with the third, you can enjoy the baby; relish in those coos.  You’ve done it all so you aren’t nervous anymore.  Do you still need to check their breathing when they are sleeping?  Not unless you are really a nervous Nelly!  By the 3rd, you know they will be fine.  You’ve got it.  By the third, you can sit back and enjoy…as I’ve heard.  Doesn’t sound so bad?  But, it isn’t for everyone because you have to be ready to really be spread thin and time to yourself seems to be of the essence.  But, they play together nicely and you can sit back and watch your lovely family enjoy each other!

Shock Value-4

For me, the shock of 1-2 was definitely harder than 0-1.  Juggling the time and attention is something I take seriously.  I don’t want anyone to feel slighted.  I hope they will grow up without comparisons and with the feeling of being equally loved and cherished.    It was a shock for me but one that gets easier as they grow and as time marches on …

So, what was your biggest shock with expanding your family?  Comment below or share on the ‘Growing Ladies’ facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment