Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Is there an App for that?


I just joined Good Reads.  It has an app for my IPhone.  So now, I have to click on that app 30 times a day.  Add it to the list of distractions in my day.  Apps I need to click on every day, multiple times a day:
Facebook
Text Messages
Goodreads
Twitter
Words with Friends
Email
Instagram
Photos
Camera
WW Mobile
People
Pandora
Groupon
Weather
Living Social

Lord, Help me.  No, that’s me talking, not an app.  I’m sure if I checked the App store, “Lord, help me,” could be one.  The problem is, I also have a kindle, a television set, and hmmm….kids!

Sometimes I find myself holding my 1 year old by her waist, sideways, as I check my ‘words with friends’ games and slide that “D” into place… Is “DU” a word??  I know it is bad.  I find myself in conversation, thinking about my IPhone and its apps in all of their glory.  Right now, I have my phone next to me, my kindle at my feet and the television blaring loudly, “So you think you can dance.”  Eyes up, down, to the side, and back again.  Aye?!  We wonder why we are distracted human beings.  I know I am.  Where has the simple life gone?  It is passing me by as I check my phone and how many notifications I received from the picture I posted on Facebook.  Help! 

My husband and I tried an experiment about a month ago.  We were going to put our IPhone’s in a box when he got home from work.  We were only allowed to check them again right before bed.  It worked for about 1 week.  It was great.  But, I found myself wiping beads of sweat from my forehead every night until bed.  We don’t have a lot of time and we need that time, but we are buried in our phones.  “Hmmm, what did you say?” Excuse me but I must update my facebook status to, “Home.”  No seriously, I’m not that bad, but it is close.  BUT…I’m not the only one to blame.  He has fantasy football now; 3 teams.  I’m sure that is an app…right?! 

But wait??!!  Remember our kids!  My poor kids will grow up thinking they have to fight for my attention against that phone.  My 1 year old cries whenever I pick it up.  I don’t blame her.  I’m not “in the moment” when I have that thing in my hand.  I’m not listening.  I’m not engaging.  I’m not being me. 

Truth be told, I’m a little over stimulated.  My mind is always racing.  Did I text my friend back before when she asked me about baby acne?  Did I forget to respond to that Evite?  I can hardly keep track of the things I have to get done, because of that dang phone.  Today, I left my phone at home when I ran to the grocery store and I actually felt ok without it.  After the shop, I started leaving the store and the cashier said to me, “Honey, you forgot to pay.”  Really?  I laughed it off and looked at the lady behind me.  “You have a lot to take care of,” she said pointing to my girls.  Yes, I do.  I have a lot to take care of.  I think I need to take care of my phone a little less.  It honestly made me think that I need to make a change.  It is one thing to be distracted at the grocery store as I try to give my 1 year old snacks, load the groceries, and keep my 3 year old close.  But, quite another when both of my girls are home and cute and playing, and I’m thumbing through my phone.  I don’t want my life to be all about distractions, not living in the moment, forgetting about the simple life that we all grew up in.  The quiet.  Imaginations.  Conversing.  One on One.  I cannot get distracted from THAT.  Who will I be?  A robot.  A mindless IPhone junkie?   Sometimes, I need those distractions.  But, not always, not constantly.  I don’t want my kids to be all about their phones either when they get older.  They saw me doing it, so I’m sure they would think it is ok.  Who could blame them?  Not me.  I want them to be outside and cherish their minds and imaginations.  I want them to have an outlet, not an IPhone.  I want myself to have that too. 

So, what to do now?

It is time to make a change.  I’m not going to throw my IPhone in the toilet or anything, but I’m going to put it on the back burner.  Not on the stove…but of my life.  I’m going to make an effort to live in the moment and find a piece of the simple life again.  If there is an app for that, I’m getting it.  Just kidding. 

I’ll let you know how it all goes…..

For now, I’m going to post this blog, turn off my computer, slide to unlock my IPhone and then slide to power off, turn off the television, and open my kindle and read.
 
Check out the commercial that sparked this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment