Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Angelina's Hope


My dad was an oncologist for 30 years.  He was an AMAZING doctor.  I had the privilege of working with him for a couple of summers here and there and then after graduation while I received my Master’s degree.  I coordinated studies for new drugs on the market like Amgen’s drug Aranesp.  Aranesp is used to treat low red blood cells (anemia) in the body which is caused from patients undergoing chemotherapy.  I had 10 patients that I was in charge of during the study.  I liked the job.  I learned a lot about cancer and effects of chemotherapy and drugs used to treat it.  I remember one day however, I went home in tears when one of my favorite patients from the office passed on.  I could NOT imagine doing what my dad did for a living.  He would come home some nights and sit in his black chair in the quiet.  I didn’t realize then, but a rough day in the workplace was not a spreadsheet oversight.  It was much, much more.  But on the flip side, he said that one thing he always told his patients was to never give up hope.  He never counted anyone out, no matter how dire the diagnosis seemed.  That is why I believe he saved SO MANY LIVES!  He never gave anyone “Chances,” because everyone is different and sometimes the ‘will to live’ is a treatment in it of itself.  There was always hope. 
The patients that I came across were wonderfully optimistic and kind.  Most of them were pretty old (like my favorite patient that passed; in his 80's) but every once in a while a young Mom would walk in or a 20-something young man and my heart would start racing and my mind would start worrying.  I would smile to offer, well…something.  Then, I would see my dad put his hand on their shoulder and they would laugh and I thought to myself, NOW THAT IS A DOCTOR!  He offered them support and encouragement and sometimes that is all someone needs… treatment and support.  They would smile through the thick of it and then one year later walk into the office in full remission, stronger.  Those were the stories I held on to and the images I keep with me.  Recovery! 

********************************************************************

That is the type of story I want for my friend's daughter, Angelina.  To fight, smile through the thick of it from an array of support, and to come out stronger.

When my friend’s 3 ½ year old daughter Angelina was diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma, I felt devastated for her and her family.  It is absolutely unfair!!!!!!! 







 I lived my life hearing the word cancer, growing up in a household where my dad cared for cancer-striken patients but somehow, what I learned about cancer didn’t matter.  As much as I know and have learned through the years; it all went to hell in a handbag because a little girl got sick.  Why is our first question.  How can we help is our second. We cannot answer the why, we know it isn't fair,  but we can damn well help!
First way to help is to donate food, funds, and/or support.  Lots of helping hands has set up a website for Danielle (the mother) and her family. And Please follow Angelina’s army on facebook and continue to go to the website for updates through Angelina’s fight to beat cancer.  It is also set up that you can donate NOW so please do so.  This family needs every little bit.  Please help. 

Second: The mother, Danielle is a stroller strides instructor.  I took the class when my older daughter was a baby for as long as she sat in the stroller.  Danielle started the Bergen franchise and has done an AMAZING job at making it grow.  While she is out taking care of her daughter, it is important that her business continues to grow so please check out a class or share this information.  I met her when Angelina was a baby and watched her and her brother crawl around the double stroller for an hour for many months.  Here is the link to sign up for classes.  They have many different programs for the mom without having to get a babysitter.  I loved doing it and wish I could still go, but my girls won't sit in a stroller anymore.
This family is going to endure a lot.  But, with our help, they will get through it and little sweet Angelina will beat it.  She is young and strong and full of life.  She is a fighter!  So please help her and her family. 
Throughout my life, I have heard about cancer and my knowledge has grown but let me tell you one thing that I know for certain, there is always hope and there is always support.  Let’s prove that!
Please share!

1 comment:

  1. This is crazy! I am a Monkey and I am reading all these stories. I saw this picture and thought I know that girl! Then you said her moms name was Danielle and I couldn't believe what a small world we live in! I went to school with Danielle! I followed Angelinas story! Crazy small world!

    ReplyDelete