Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Painted Nails

I went out to dinner with some of my mom friends a couple of weeks back.   I had to wear a headband to cover my roots.  My eyebrows hadn’t been waxed in weeks and I hadn’t been to the gym in a long time.  I didn’t know what to cover up first, my hair, my face, or my spare tire.  Rock Bottom! My personal hygiene had been thrown out….the…window.  I felt like crying.  And it isn’t like I could get it done in all one shot.  “Here mom, take the babies, I’m going out for the entire day.” Not gonna happen.  How many hours do all of those things take altogether?  6, maybe 7? And, how many hours do I have?  A big fat 0.  It would have to be spread out among weekends when my husband is home.  Perhaps my parents would visit for the day and I’d be able to steal an hour for that wax.  Can I go for a run with the double stroller?  Perhaps, if those dang wheels wouldn’t get stuck in the turns.  Bottom line, it takes time and help to keep it all up; to feel like myself.  To look, hmm, what’s the word….human?  
The funniest thing about it all is that my girls are always put together.  Of course, I’ll take time to get them camera ready.  And as I stand there, snapping pictures of the matching outfits and bows, I am behind the camera with a bun in my hair and the same ripped sweatpants I tend to wear every day.  I’d like to say that I will teach my girls that appearance doesn’t matter.  But that is a crock.  And I don’t even think it is a good lesson.  Appearance definitely matters.  When we look good, we feel good and it makes us all better mothers, workers, wives, girlfriends, and friends.  After all, I wouldn’t want my 2 girls walking around with hairy armpits and overgrown eyebrows.  Not a good look.  My girls will brush that hair, pluck those eyebrows, and wear outfits that make sense.  Look your best.  Because, I do feel that if you feel good, you perform well.  Whether you are a mother or an overworked business person, the bottom line is that we need to feel like women and we need to feel beautiful. 
I will continue to find moments where I can get a wax and dye my hair.  I will continue to try and feel beautiful.  But, I will also embrace those moments where I look like a slob and try not to cry about it.  It is what it is and I know that one day, I will have the time again.  And now, as I sit here typing with my freshly painted nails, I know these nails will start to chip and I’ll think to myself, when will my next hour come?

7 comments:

  1. Noreen, you don't give yourself NEARLY enough credit. You are one of the most put-together people I have ever met. Hands down. Pre-babies and post-babies. You always look so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noreen! I LOVE this blog! You are such a talented writer. It's so nice to hear reasuring words from a familiar voice about something we, as mothers, are all feeling and thinking. Looking forward to reading your posts...even if it is at 4:15 am while I feel Antonio :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ali!! I'm so glad you love it and I'm so glad you want to read it. It means a lot to me!!!

      Delete
  3. you looked fab today when I saw you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen you look anything less than put together. But then again, consider the source. Lol.

    ReplyDelete