Friday, March 2, 2012

Relaxing in Chaos

I’ve seen or heard stories of kids running around the house at 10:00 pm, high on sugar, as the parents kick up their feet at parties and sip their wine.  I silently praised their good work; that relaxed attitude and secretly scold myself.  I can’t do that.  If I did, I’m sure I would have a melt-down on my hands in the next day or so.  Maybe not that night or maybe not even the next morning, but it would come…full force…in the next 24-36 hours; and it would be a doozy!   You know how I know…because it has happened; the over-tired melt down.  No thank you.
 So therefore, I can’t just let it all go.  If I do, chaos ensues.  Relaxing in chaos?  Not my idea of a good time.  Nap time, bed time, bath time, dinner time; it all matters, right?  Doesn’t it? I think it does…at least with my child.  She doesn’t really throw tantrums (knock on wood).  For a 2 ½ year old, that is pretty darn good, and I privately praise myself.  But, at the same time, if I kicked up my feet a little more and just let it be, I’m sure it would still be ok.  Right? 
I always hear moms and dads say that they don’t cater to their children, the children cater to them.  And I think that is great, for them.  I just don’t think it is for me.  I like the slower pace. I want them in bed at a decent hour.  I want them to take a nap.  I want them to eat at certain times.  I do all of these things so that I can raise, relaxed, easy-going children in the long run.  But most of all, so I can have some peace.  I know my girls are easy to get down to sleep at 7:30 pm and happy (for the most part) when they wake up, and that gives me peace. 
Don’t get me wrong, I can definitely fall into the “kick up my feet” category from time to time.  I will definitely throw their schedule out the door every once in a while. I have to or I wouldn’t be “living.” And, when we do venture out during nap time or stay out after bed time, they are less likely to melt-down because it isn’t a part of their day-to-day mindset.  They know they are doing something, “special,” and so they will enjoy it.  
All in all, I guess we as parents have to do what is right for us.  For me, I like a schedule.  I like to know what I will be getting that day.  But, I’m still figuring it out.  For now, I will do what I have to do to get by with the least amount of chaos. And, when I’m sitting with my drink while the kids are older and playing, I’ll think, “I’m here, I did it.” And then will be the time that I’ll take a deep breath, kick up my feet, sip my wine, and relax…

1 comment:

  1. I love this one! I think we have similar panting styles. I have had a schedule since day 1, or should I say Colston and Laine have followed a schedule since day 1. It's necessary and helpful in my household. Great blog! I'm enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete