Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Where does the time go?

This afternoon my friends and I were playing at the park with our kids.  My friend held on to my baby girl’s hands, pulled her to a standing position and let go.  My 7 month old baby stood for about 5 seconds; steady.  I was amazed and happy but then I felt a twinge of sadness.  I thought to myself, where does the time go?
Later in the evening, I was dancing with the baby and singing “Pop Goes the Weasel.”  My toddler heard it through 2 times and then sang the whole song with me.  She was able to sing every single word.  I thought back to when she turned 2 and how she couldn’t say much.  For a split second, I missed that time that she said “DaLa” for almost everything.  Where does the time go?
My baby grabbed the bottle to give it to herself last night.  Isn’t she too little for this?  She is no longer an infant.  She has chunky thighs and big round cheeks.  She giggles, has determination, and enjoys the company of others.  She is full of personality.  She is growing so fast….
My toddler read me a book tonight.  “Goodnight Moon.”  I read that to her every single night when she was an infant.  She would kick her little legs and help turn the page.  And now, she turned each page and read the book to me (what she has memorized).  My pride soars but the moments pass quickly….
Where does the time go, I wonder, as I put away the exersaucer because my baby is too big to use it?
Where does the time go, I fret as my toddler takes the toothbrush and brushes her own teeth?
Where does the time go, I think as my toddler goes over to soothe my baby when she is upset?  I feel like it was just yesterday when I was going over to soothe her as a baby.
But, even though I will miss the times that have passed, I smile and enjoy the new ones that occur. 
Every stage brings something new and beautiful to my life.   
I smile as my toddler hugs me and says, “I love you so much mommy.”  I laugh as she makes deals with me at bedtime.  I can’t believe that she has the capability to unlock the IPad and play.   I love when my baby squeals in delight when she notices that her sister is jumping around.  Or, how my baby can stand at the bottom of the steps and then turn around for approval.         
I delight in the old memories and savor the new ones.  I relish in the growth of my children.  And, although I will miss the moments that pass me by, I enjoy the new ones that arrive just in time; to capture my heart all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment