Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dolly Parton Said What??

Dolly Parton isn’t someone I’m going to tell my girls to look up to.  No way.  No how.  Yes girls, go get yourself some big old fake boobs and perfectly fluffy bleached hair and let that define you.  It just isn’t going to happen.  But, somehow, she has said amazing things in her life; amazing quotes that have made a difference in my life.  These quotes have always struck a chord with me.  And, I will be sure to keep them in mind as I teach my daughters how to be and ultimately how to become.  (I just won’t tell them who said it.)  Ha!
“Find out who you are, and do it on purpose.”
Nice!  Simple.  I heard that quote in my early 20’s and I never looked back.  To be able to find out who you are, and then be that way despite what others may think or say.  That is something I will teach my ladies.  Don’t worry what other people say, my loves.  Be you!  My hope is that they find out who they are early in life and they don’t change for anyone!
I know there will be bumps along the road.  I will tell my girls that it won’t always be easy.  That sometimes you can find out who you are by who you are not.  Making mistakes.  Living a life you shouldn’t be.  Being at the wrong place at the wrong time and knowing you need to make a change.  And, when you make change and it comes together; you become you.  I will tell them that it is ok if it takes time, though.  They will get there.  And, I will be there every step of the way.
I will surround them with positive people who define this quote.  Because, sometimes you can find out who you are by example. Seeing someone truly be themselves in a good way and appreciating the fact that they inspire you to do the same.  I will embrace these people and let my girls watch their actions.  And when they find out who they truly are…well then…the world is theirs.  
“It’s hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world.”
Sparkle girls.  Sparkle!  In a world full of imitation, I am going to try and teach my girls to be genuine.  And, if they are going to be original, they should be ready for people to copy them.  It won’t affect them though.  It will only show them that they are shinier and more authentic.  It will only make them sparkle more.  No matter what anyone says, you can spot the fake rhinestones amongst the diamonds.  I believe, it is a lesson worth millions.
          “The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain!”                           
Life isn’t always easy, but I will teach my girls that sometimes you have to go through hard times in life to come out stronger.  But, there is always a deeper meaning to it.  There is always a lesson to be learned and there is always something better and brighter that comes out of it.  I will promise my girls that the rainbow will come after and it will be beautiful.  Then they will say, “Wow, I wouldn’t have seen this if I didn’t go through that hard time.”  It will make them stronger, wiser, and happier in the end.  It has to.  Because, everyone has a story but it is how you work through it and what you learn from it; that will define you. 
So….march to the beat of your own drum, little ladies.  I promise to try everyday to teach you to be authentic, beautiful and genuine people who are able to rise above adversity.  And, remember girls, once you find out who you are...do it on purpose. 
Love,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment