Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mommy Muscles

When my toddler was about 8 months old, I took her to Gymboree classes.  One day, she was playing with another baby, and reached for the other baby’s face.  The mom strongly moved her hand away and said, “that’s not nice little girl.” Hmmm…interesting.  Now normally, in my former life, I would have ignored it and moved on.  Not as a mom.  I rolled up my sleeves and my mommy muscles emerged like 2 large cannon balls.  Boom!  “She is just a baby, do not touch my child again,” I said.  She looked at me, almost said something, but decided to walk away.  Take that!  Nobody messes with my baby!  And that is for sure.  Because, when your first baby is born, so are your Mommy Muscles.
Mommy Muscles can literally obliterate anyone or anything in its path and/or do things that never have been done before. There are no insecurities with mommy muscles.  It is funny how you can be a certain type of person in high school, college, and even after that.  You can be shy and quiet or funny and/or sweet.  But, once you have a child, it doesn’t matter who you are or how you’ve been, because any mom will gladly take on anyone who messes with their child.  Those muscles are there to protect its kin.  Move over Arnold Schwarzenegger; mommy muscles are ready to take you on. 
Mommy muscles can run from one side of the playground to the other to catch their falling child from the back of the slide.  Mommy muscles can carry three kids at one time like it is a piece of paper.  Mommy muscles can catch their child’s vomit in a garbage can while washing the vomit filled sheets with her feet.  Mommy muscles can carry a purse, diaper bag, and baby; while filling a bottle with milk and a sippy cup with juice.  Piece of cake!
And, even though mommy muscles are strong, they can also be used to tell it like it is.  Mommy muscles can tell other mom’s to keep their germy kid away.  Mommy muscles can tell your father-in-law to turn down the TV because your babies are sleeping upstairs….in his own home.  Yikes.  Sorry Poppa!  But, it’s true.  Mommy muscles fear no one. I can also use them to tell someone holding my child, that they are holding them the wrong way.  Or, if I don’t like the way someone is giving my child the bottle, I will take a second, let the mommy muscles grow and expand….and tell them to change positions.  Done.
I have changed becoming a mom.  I used to be such a huge people pleaser, but once I had my children, I tend not to try as hard to please people because; I want to please my family first.  It’s as simple as that.  You want what is best for your children and so, you do what you need to do to keep them happy, healthy, and safe.  And for that, I am happy to say that my mommy muscles are tough, sturdy, and solid.  They will emerge when they need to and they are going nowhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment