Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Beast of the East

I went to college at Villanova University.  I think it was my sophomore year when we got free t-shirts or maybe they were like 10 bucks or something.  I really don’t remember buying them though but I can’t remember much from college.  I believe I gave them to my entire family as gifts that Christmas.  The shirt read “Nova Hoops” on the front and “Beast of the East” on the back.  Kind of weird I guess, but I won’t judge, we were the Wildcats.  We all still wear them.  They have gotten pretty ratty.  But, it is extremely convenient when someone is in a bad mood and cranky wearing that shirt and then they turn around. (Beast of the east)  “You’ve got that right.” Sigh…

I was reminded of the t-shirt this week when I was talking to my mom on the phone.  “You sound tired,” my mom said.  “I am, the girls are both sick and I feel gross and basically feel like I’m on a rampage.”  I told her I was living in the new pajama pants she had gotten me for Christmas.  “Which ones,” she said.  (She got me 2 because I love PJ bottoms)  “The ones with the colorful peace signs all over them,” I answered. 
I mean…WE LAUGHED!!!  Ironic, right?  I’m wearing pajamas that have peace signs all over them when I feel like I’m at war.  “Just like beast of the east,” she reminded me.  You’ve got that right.  We laughed some more.  Thanks Mom!  She is pretty freaking funny. 
Notice my toes.  Can you see them?  They are jazzed up, ready for a hot date with my DVR. 
With pink eye, ear infections, and a fever, my house, my appearance and my children were anything but peaceful.  My little one year old pretty much cried the entire day for three days.  I seriously didn’t blame her; she was a mess, but nevertheless, it was still rough.  By Friday, I was exhausted, isolated, and tired.  All I needed was a break from my sick house.  B.R.E.A.K! 
So Friday night, my husband walked in the door and I walked out!  The door swung from its hinges and my husband saw the dust from my feet, up like smoke from a fire.  And like any man in the world headed for the can, I had a magazine under my arm, ready for a little time.  I took the latest US magazine for my well needed pedicure. ie. “me time.”  When I got there, I closed my eyes in the chair, the magazine sitting on the table beside me.  All the ladies at the nail place had their jackets on and scarves wrapped around their necks as I sat in the chair at 6:50pm for a long winter's rest.  Here’s the door, what’s your hurry?  I didn’t care.  “Sorry.  I’m seeking relaxation.  Please don’t rush the foot massage.  Can you use extra lotion?  Yes I’ll add the hot stones for extra.  Stick them right under my feet.  Maybe if I close my eyes and act like I'm falling asleep, she will feel bad and take her time.”   Ahhh, sweet relief.
When I walked back in the door at 7:45 pm, the kids were in bed, and I felt better.  It is amazing what a little fresh air can do for someone.  It doesn’t take much.  It just takes something.  A little something something and then I can magically turn from the beast of the east to the peaceful mom that my new pajama pants suggest…    

No comments:

Post a Comment