Monday, January 7, 2013

Mirror Mirror


Here’s my question; when you look in the mirror, do you see an accurate reflection of yourself?
Do you see what the world sees?  Or maybe, does the world see different versions of you based on how they feel about you?  If they love you, do they see more beauty than someone who doesn’t?  I know if I don’t like someone, I see their snarled tooth.  It’s like that movie, Shallow Hal.  If someone was beautiful inside, he saw a beautiful outside; vice versa.  Funny movie.      
Does my husband see one thing and a stranger another?  Do my friends look at me and think, too big, too small, too round, not round enough, too wide set, not symmetrical, etc… or do they only notice the things that they find beautiful.  Wow, she has nice brown eyes!?  I know I see the best qualities in my friends.  I can appreciate what makes them beautiful.  But me…when I look in the mirror, I see too many extra pounds.  Yuck.
After New Years, I made a resolution to stop eating candy/junk/crap.  My friend texted me and I told her I already failed on my resolution, DAY ONE!  Nice.  She said that giving up sweets gets me on a one way ticket to miseryville.  But, I said that the end result keeps me living in miseryville.  House, car, white picket fence.  I set up shop in miseryville.  She said I was “stunning.”  In a nutshell, she basically told me not to beat myself up about it.  She must love me?!  But, I told her this story: I was at the deli and they had these delicious looking black and white extra large cookies and I said to another lady, ‘wow, those look good.”  She looked over at them and then looked at me and said, “Yes tempting.”  I decided to take one and she said, “You can’t deprive yourself of everything,” and I said, “The problem is, I don’t.”  She laughed but I wasn’t joking.  I don’t deprive myself.  I took that black and white cookie home and ate it.  HELLO?!  I need to learn the art of self-restraint.  I mean, I love black and white cookies… (like the TV show Seinfeld)...”LOOK TO THE COOKIE!”  But seriously, when I look in the mirror, I do not see everything I could be.  Maybe my friend might see someone “stunning,” but the problem is, I don’t.   I’m not writing this in a woe is me type of way.  I’m writing this in a “let’s get this done,” kind of way.  Are you with me? 
I know I talk about The Bar Method a lot.  I really love it and I do think it can change my body.  I’m going often.  But, the problem is that I’m self-sabotaging myself by what I am putting in my mouth.  I need to eat healthier and I need to decide to do it NOW.  I joined a 60 day challenge that the Bar Method has organized.  I had to get measured for it and couldn’t believe my measurements.  My arms, my waist, my thighs, my BLAHHHHHH….
Yuck, spit, grrrrr…It was depressing.  I took a sneak peak at the other 2 people’s measurements on the page (I had to) and they were so much tinier.  I feel like I broke into a cold sweat.  What am I doing to myself?  How did this happen?  So anyway, I started trying harder; taking baby steps. And, I realized…I have to be held accountable for my actions.  I have to have a goal in sight.  And I do.  March 7.  They will measure me again.  I’m hoping for change.  Being a black and white cookie connoisseur will not get me there, that is for sure.   
I’m not Bridget Jones or anything, but I’m going to take you along.  Just pleeeeaaase don’t judge me because look, I’m a mom and when I have bad days, I want to grab a Hershey kiss.  When everyone is crying, I want to dump coffee creamer in my cup.  When I’m bored, I mistakenly think that I’m hungry and so I grab a snack.  I don’t need it!  These unhealthy habits have to be broken and new habits have to replace them.  I’ll get there, I hope.
So, I’ll put a little note at the end of every blog and maybe just a blurb about how I’m doing.  I have 15 pounds to lose. I almost wrote my starting weight in this, but I’m not that open and free.  I feel like I would walk around with a little bubble over my head and the number just floating for everyone to point and laugh.  Ha! “Look at how much she weighs…holy moly!!!”   I have to keep something to myself.  But, I will tell you how much I’m up or down.  I know.  It is a lot to lose.  But, it has to go.  Between this and the Bar Method, I’m hoping I can get myself back to where I want to be.  I hope you will join me. Maybe join me at the Bar Method or If you want to be held accountable, private message me.  I’ll share some stories as well.  I would hate to do this alone.
Let’s make 2013 the best ever!  And let us look in the mirror and see what we want and feel proud.

2 comments:

  1. You are stunning. And I never noticed any extra pounds. I notice your pretty smile and how if Tyra was talking about you, she'd say- "Noreen is always smizing". It's never a fake smile- it's 100% genuine. The same way you can tell immediately on your face when you're pissed or kind of sad. What can I say- I wouldn't notice a dead body or a mess on my floor but I read people's faces. Well.

    I will say- if you read any of my Jenny Craig posts- you'll see I put my weight on there. It's freeing in a way. Because it's not a secret. The cat is out of the bag- you can't lie to yourself anymore once that number is out there. Just food (ha) for thought- not the mouth...

    I'm sure you can do it. And it will be hard in the beginning. And if you feel you have to be tough on yourself, then by all means- go for it. And then when you feel confident you're able to manage your self-control, then you can add that black & white cookIE (not ies) back in. And you'll enjoy it.

    One thing I always do- I LOVE my dessert and won't give it up. But I make sure I wait till E's asleep, B and I are ready to put on our shows (tonight it's the Bachelor!) and then ENJOY every bite. I don't eat it during the day, I don't eat it standing up or on the fly. Tonight it was Little Debbie Swiss Roles (Yodels are GONE! *tear*) and 4oz of milk. And I loved every last bite. But that's it. For the night. And I'm ok with that because I really relished it.

    GOOD LUCK!! And if you ever feel like walking at night, let me know!! Oh, and get a fitbit from Brookstone. I LOVE it. It totally keeps me motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tara! You are the best!! And I'm with you...I love dessert. I know I'll be able to have my black and white cookie again soon when I can just have ONE!

    ReplyDelete