Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Sock Balls

My husband asked me to roll his socks in balls.  Apparently I was only half rolling them up.  Ok, yes.  In between my very stimulating day of poopie diapers and spilled milk, I will roll your socks in a very tight ball.  Glamorous.  Shall I wear an evening gown while I do it?  That would complete the look.

Sheesh!
I actually started laughing like I was going to lose it.  That, or…I was losing it.  Deep breathe.  This is just a moment in time.  There will be more to life than tightly rolled balls of socks, pampers, Gerber, sippy cups, frazzled hair, spare tires, bottle brushes, and diaper genies.  Yes, there will be more.  I’m daydreaming about the moments when it can be more about stimulating conversations, well-managed time, a taste of freedom, making a difference, and a fat dusting of “me” time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So now, I have to settle for what I get.  Right?  And, I have to be ok with tightly rolled balls of socks.  Ok.  At the same time, I have to also find moments when I can embrace “the more?”

Every Wednesday night, my friend and I take a fitness bar class called Vitality.  And most Sundays, my friends and I take another fitness bar class called The Bar Method. 

Vitality: The capacity to live, grow, or develop.

I find myself growing and living every Wednesday night and Sunday morning for one hour.  It is such a hard class and I find myself using every single bit of mental strength that I have to get through it.  Every single bit of mental strength…for me….to grow and develop.  After all, isn’t that why we are here??!  To allow ourselves to grow and develop; to become better people through living and learning….

I am definitely happier after I take these classes and they allow me to spend time focusing on something other than my children, my husband, and/or the laundry.  Because I am allowing myself to focus on me.  What a thought?!  Is that selfish?  Absolutely NOT!!!  It is not selfish to want to have time for yourself; to improve and in turn…be a happier mommy.  I always come back from my Sunday class with a Starbucks coffee in hand, friendly conversation under my belt, and a smile on my face.  I’ve grown an inch…

Growth: An increase, as in size, number, value, or strength; extension or expansion: ...

My value and strength spike a peak after I take these classes
 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
But let’s get back to those sassy balls of socks.  Because, let’s face it…they are still there taunting me; laying on the floor all mismatched and out of sorts….waiting for me to find their match and roll them up into a tight ball.  And I will.  I’ll roll them right up.  As long as I can look forward to times for myself, I will do everything I can to make my family happy.  I will.  Just don’t judge me when I’m rolling those socks up without a big smile on my face.  But I will smile when I’m done with my task.  I’ll stick those socks in the drawers and shut the drawer up tight.  Then, I’ll unroll a pair of my socks, put them on and walk right out the door to my bar class.  I’ll smile at the fact that I did everything I could to make my family happy and then I can fully enjoy an hour for me ;)

1 comment: