Thursday, May 17, 2012

Go Write about Politics


Article after article.  Blog after blog.  Opinions, controversy.  Are we Mom Enough?  The Time Magazine spread started something big.  I didn’t read the article, but the picture was enough for me.  And I have something to say to the author of that article; Yes we are!  Us moms, we got it covered.  Go write about politics.

This morning my girls woke up crying.  Both of them.  I’ve said it before.  It happens to everyone.  You know the drill. I needed to get both of them fed and pack up the car all before the baby’s first nap.  One day.  4 bags.  It was chaos and there was limited time.  There was a lot of crying, some yelling, a ton of frustration, and then we were on our way. 

As we drove off, I started feeling a little guilty for the way I acted in the morning.  I mean, I was breaking out into a full on sweat and the baby was hanging on me and my toddler was a bit out of sorts.  I was short tempered.  Looking back, I know I could have been calmer.  I was thinking of all of these things are we drove in silence with the music softly playing in the background; the baby asleep and my toddler calmly listening to the music.  The song, “A thousand years,” by Chiristina Perri came on:

I have died everyday
waiting for you
Darlin' don't be afraid
I have loved you for a
Thousand years
I'll love you for a
Thousand more

It tugged at my heart strings.  I have loved both of my children for a thousand years…

I reached my hand back to my daughter and held it tight.  I looked in my rearview mirror and saw her face light up. 

I am enough.

I just put my baby to sleep.  It was such a fun day with grandma and grandpa.  I took her upstairs and sat with her to snuggle with her and give her the bottle.  It is a new atmosphere; a different house, a new room, the pack n play (not the crib) but one thing remained…me.  She caressed my arm as she drank.  I crave that touch.  I look forward to it every single day.  And then I thought, so does she.

I am enough.

My friend is a working mom.  She feels guilty about leaving her babies every single day.  She misses them so much and loves them beyond words.  She sends me pictures and videos sometimes of her twins and I hear her voice in the background; that sweet familiar voice.  I hear the joy and love in it.  It leaps out from the video.  She finds so much happiness in her children and she soaks up every single minute that she has.  She worries when they are sick and rejoices in the good.   

She is enough.

I don’t have time to make homemade sauce.  My house is messy most of the time and full of toys.  I wear sweatpants a lot.  I have to get my hair highlighted…yesterday.  I love ordering take out because that means I don’t have to cook.  I left my house with dishes in the sink. 

I am enough.

Women constantly put pressure on themselves.  Am I pretty enough?  Skinny enough?  Smart enough?  Am I super mom?  The answer is simple: 

As long as we love our children unconditionally…
As long as we love ourselves unconditionally…
As long as we try our best every single day…

We are enough.  So maybe, Time magazine would be better writing about politics instead of writing about mothers, whom they know little about...

No comments:

Post a Comment