Wednesday, May 2, 2012

POP!

I will not complain, I will not complain, I will not complain.  I’m trying to tell myself this over and over again because if I don’t say it to myself, I will.  It is just one of those days where I feel like running straight to the coffee and twix bars and then hiding under my blanket with a book and a flashlight.  We are still reeling from the doctor’s visit yesterday.  My baby is 9 months old now.  She just had her well check-up and she is doing great; thriving…thank goodness.  But the actual visit was another story. 

When we got there, the baby pooped through her entire outfit; up the back, down the legs.  God forbid I had another outfit or onesie or even a blanket in the diaper bag.  I was not prepared for that.  The story of my life.  So, the baby was naked for the entire visit.  I’m very grateful for the warm day yesterday.  When the doctor walked in, for some reason I felt like crying.  I’m usually the type of person that is very calm and collected.  Nothing really fazes me too much.  I try to keep an even keel.  But, I felt overworked and underpaid yesterday.  Funny?  Nah!  I did.  I felt like I needed a lunch break or something.  How about a little quiet time?  But, I will try not to complain.
Then, the baby had a finger prick that went haywire!  She bled all over me and herself.  They said they had never seen a baby bleed that much from a finger prick.  Check.  So now I have a naked, bloody baby with her hand wrapped in about 40 paper towels because the band aids were all bled through.  Check.  As I walk through the waiting room to go home, I see the other moms glancing from their People Magazines and baby carriers.  My toddler is crawling (yes crawling) behind me because she is hungry for dinner and I’m bloody, holding my naked bloody baby with nothing but a pair of socks and a pink polka dotted bow in her hair.  Wow!  What a sight?!  I just look up and smile and say, “It’s one of those days.”   The other mom, God bless her, smiles and says, “I’ve been there.” 

If I can make it until bed time, I’m golden.  I did, but not before dinner, baths, screams, whines, spit up, tummy aches, drama, Dora, dishes….and then…peace.
I was hoping I would wake up this morning to a nice, easy day.  Nope.  Not happening today.  My toddler woke up crying with a tummy ache that just seemed to be hunger.  Drama.  If I was a balloon, I would be blown up just to the point of bursting.  It’s getting bigger, bigger, bigger…Someone just pop it already and get it over with.  Maybe then I can start anew.  But, I will not complain. 

I will not complain because I know things can be so much worse.  I will not complain because it is really not that bad.  I will not complain because sometimes all I need is a little perspective.  This is a part of life; motherhood.  These things happen and even though they suck while they are happening, they make me appreciate the good moments even more.  These are my babies.  They need me.  I need to stay focused for them.  I need to stay calm and collected.  I need to show lots of love and smiles for them.  So……………POP!  I popped the balloon myself.  And now I’ll start again at the beginning with a smile, a cup of coffee, and perspective. 

1 comment:

  1. You're allowed to complain though. We all earn the right to complain. Of course it could be worse if someone wants to compare naked bloody baby and crawling toddler to death or incurable illness, but it's all relative. Remember that. I want to complain when I can't sneak a nap in anymore because naps are on the way out over here. I'm horrified by that. Sometimes perspective is overrated and that Twix is sorely needed! :-)

    ReplyDelete