Thursday, December 13, 2012

She told me so


I recently read a blog post from a Mother which was BRILLIANT!  It was called, “Why you’re never failing as a mother.”  Thank you Amy Morrison.  I feel better.  I needed you to tell me that.  I needed someone to tell me that.  Read for yourself. (But only after you are done reading mine ;)
It is easy to feel like you are failing as a mother if you don’t feed them the right food, put them in the right pre-school, and/or discipline the right way.  But the truth of the matter is who is to say you are doing it wrong?  We are all new to parenting.  We are all figuring it out as we go along.  No one person is right and no one person is wrong.  We as parents have to do what is best for us.  If it feels wrong to you, then change it.  But, if it feels right, it probably is.
Recently, I started to feel like I was disciplining the wrong way.  If I wasn’t consistent, if I didn’t PICK the right battles…was I failing?  Am I failing? Ahhh, someone please tell me I’m not.   Well, Miss Amy Morrison told me I’m not.  She told me so. 
BUT, I still wasn’t so sure.  My 3 ½ year old isn’t listening well.  She is testing boundaries and being defiant at times.  It is exhausting.  But, I have to figure it out.  I have to do what is best for her and for me.  Sometimes I ask friends for help and I get blank stares.  And sometimes I get great advice.  They are tips.  They help.  Am I on the right path??  It seems so.  Because if I trust my instincts, I can’t be failing…right?  I hope not.
But, I was thinking about it this morning as I was on my hands and knees wiping the crusty eggs off the kitchen floor.   I thought about a few things that made me feel better.  I thought about 5 things that made me feel better.

1.       Forgive yourself.  I’ve said this before and I stand by it.  If I don’t bring seaweed in for a snack at school, am I failing?  If you give your kids Tostitos for a snack, it is ok.  There is always time to make healthier dishes.  Sometimes it is just easy to give them what they want and what makes them happy.  Forgive yourself for it and move on.  There is always time to improve.  No matter what we do, forgive yourself for it.  It is all ok.

2.       Listen to your kids.  They think you are doing a job.  This morning I asked my 3 ½ year old daughter if I was a good mom.  She smiled at me and shook her head, yes.  I said, “Why?” and she said because you give me lots of puffins.  Nice.  Ok, I’ll take it. 

3.       Trust your instincts.  I know I have to trust mine more.  I have to look within more and not without.  I get blank stares sometimes because maybe they don’t know what to tell me.  Maybe I shouldn’t ask as much.  Maybe I should just DO what I think is best!

4.       Do your best.  Maybe I’m slacking a bit (as I type away and look over at my girls who have their eyes glued to Dora) but, after I post this, I will sit and do letters and shapes with them.  I feel better when I’m doing better with them.  I feel bad when I ignore.  The best times that we have are when I’m teaching and they are learning.  But down-time is needed as well!!!! Amen Sisters.

5.       Shower with love.  You cannot be failing if your kids are well loved.  Lots of hugs and kisses will make up for something else that you feel like you are lacking in.  If your kids feel loved and are happy, there is no such thing as FAIL!  For that I am sure. 
Here’s the thing.  Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.  We, as mothers, need to play up on our strengths and try to improve those weaknesses. 
2013 is our YEAR!  So, as Amy Morrison said,
“Chin up. Hang in there. And remember, you're doing a great job.”

No comments:

Post a Comment