Tuesday, December 11, 2012

POOF!


I had a moment.  I had just finished the bath for my 16 month old daughter.  I had her all wrapped up in the towel, around her body and head.  Her little face was peeking out, chubby squishy cheeks all bright and happy and those little lips all puckered up.  Delightful.  She was happy and squealing, “La, La, La,” which I think means I love you, at least in my mother’s heart.  She starts kissing and biting my whole face, just loving on me and looking at me square in the eyes; it is so sweet and beautiful; a moment I live for as a mom.  I’m looking at her face and for a split second I cannot believe she is mine and I am hers.  That face, it is so joyful and her personality is so exuberant.  I’m blessed.  It was a moment I needed, a moment realized.  Even though she is all big at 16 months old, this little squishy thing is still a baby, my baby.  Ahhh, I need to hold on tight!  The toddle years are so short.  And then they get older and scream in my face, “NO!”  Haha!
I hope I’m not missing more of those moments.  I’m running, running, running all around, trying to get everything in order for the Holidays.  I’m caught up in the holiday stress right now.  The shopping and wrapping; trying to cross the T’s and dot the I’s all while trying to make the season full of cheer for my daughters.  I feel like I’m walking with a blindfold around my eyes half the time, bumping into walls and getting smacked in the shoulder with the fast-paced shoppers.  It is a lot.  It is easy to get caught up and forget the reason why we do what we do?!  We do it for them. 
The other day on facebook, there was a quote that my friend put up. 
“No One Ever Said Life Would Be Easy, They Just Promised It Would Be Worth It
I feel like that is important to remember this time of year.  When we are trying to do it all, it is easy to get lost in the “all,” and forget the “why.” 
The “Why” is everything!!!  For me, it is about trying to give my girls a little magic.  POOF!  It is all so easy ;)  Look at how everything just magically appears.  No effort needed.  And all that holiday stress will be worth it when I see their faces on Christmas morning. Or, when you see his or her face on each night of Chanukah.  For me, I’ll remember that quote on Christmas morning, I’ll remember all that heavy lifting and sweating was worth it.  I’ll understand why I put Elf in a new place every night.  I’ll appreciate the magic of the lights and the time spent to make it all unravel like a Christmas bow.  The days and weeks spent creating the magic will be lost in the twinkle from the eyes of my children.  And that will be the moment.  It will definitely be worth it.
BUT, I’m just glad it isn’t ALL for that one moment.  I’m happy I can still appreciate the small moments too, like bath time with my baby.  If we cannot appreciate the small moments as well, the big moments can swallow you up whole.  After all, it is the small moments realized that are the ones that make it all worth it in the end. 
I know it can be hard.  And if you cannot get it together during this Holiday Stress, think about another quote I saw on Facebook from the same friend:
“Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick and pull yourself together.”
–Elizabeth Taylor
(Except if you are a man, and then skip the lipstick.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment