Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Over the River and Through the Woods...


My 3-year-old daughter woke up with a fever on Monday morning.  I asked her what would make her feel better.  “Going to grandma and grandpa’s house,” she said.  I was hesitant to bring her with a fever but I called my parents to ask them it was ok.  “Come!” They said.  Thank goodness, I thought.  I wouldn’t mind the help, that’s for sure.  Alright kids….to grandma and grandpa’s house we go…

The last two days, I was able to meet my friends for lunch, alone.  My parents were fine with me going out for a few hours each day.  They had it under control.  Yesterday in particular, was just so relaxing.  I met my friend at a restaurant; we had a long and leisurely lunch and then chatted afterward.  On the way home, I picked up an iced coffee from Starbucks.  I turned up the radio and acted like I was 22 again; sang at the top of my lungs, “SO CALL ME MAYBE!”  THE LIFE!

That is called rejuvenation!!!

Of course you need your mom and dad growing up.  But, once you get to college and start working, you are on your own and it feels good.  Independent.  Living the life.  Nice.  Yet, everything changes again once you settle down and have kids.  At times, you find yourself at their mercy.  “Ummm mom?  Can you come over?” I ask aloud while silently begging and pleading.  “Here is a picture of your adorable grandchildren, aren’t they cute?  Don’t you want to see them?” (Evil laugh…..waaahhhaaaahhhaaa……)

You never need your mom more.  And in my case, both of my parents.

My friend was telling me that when she was waiting for the closing of her house, she stayed with her parents.  “It was the best,” she said.  Life is easier when you have those extra hands, and especially when mom is there.  I know what she means….

My mom can brush my daughter’s hair and make it look gorgeous.  She never raised her voice when I was growing up and still does not.  She can play Barbie’s with my daughter and transport her to another world.  She changes diapers, makes them dinner, and reads them stories.  My dad is a baby whisperer.  They flock to him.  He doesn’t ask for anything.  He only gives them love and hugs and ALL his time.  That is why they adore him.  When they are around, I can sit back for a little while.  They like to do it and thank goodness, because I like for it to be done. 

When I come to their house, I feel at home.  If my husband has to work late or goes away on business, I find comfort there.  I come for me.  It helps me refresh and rejuvenate.  Daughters have such strong relationships with their moms and I am so thankful for that bond.  I can only hope that one-day, when my daughters are married and having children, I can be that for them.  

I need my mom.  And sometimes, that is all I need.

I can absolutely not say enough about how wonderful and helpful my parents are.  They keep me sane, make it easier, and continue to give my guidance, support, and most of all…love. 

I hope that everyone out there has a support system.  If your mom isn’t around or alive, I hope you have an aunt or helper or close friend that can give you everything you need.  I hope that you can feel at home and find comfort in that support.  And during this crazy time of raising children, know you are never alone.

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful and I am blessed to still have my Mom and Papa. At 55 years old.....I still need them and they are always there for me too!!

    ReplyDelete