Monday, June 25, 2012

Mama Drama

My friend forwarded me a quote yesterday, “The days are long but the years are short.”  I thought about how I wanted to incorporate that quote into a blog.  First, I thought about being a stay at home mom.  That’s perfect, I thought.  Long days, toddler conversations, messy hair and then you are standing at your daughter’s 3rd birthday wondering where these 3 years have gone?  And then I thought about working moms too.  They too have long days, commutes, juggling working with motherhood, and then you are sitting at your son’s 3rd birthday wondering where the years have gone?  And then I thought about everyone. 

I was sitting at dinner last week with some mom friends.  My one friend is a lawyer and commutes into the city every day and then comes home and rallies through bath and bedtime.  My other friend, who is a working mom, started talking about how she has to deal with a termite problem.  I thought we all have things to do, days to get through, and moments that fly by.  We all wonder if we missed important moments.  We all have to deal with termites or ants or fixing that broken toilet.  We all have to take the trash out every day and empty the dishwasher.  We all have to get through bath time and bed time as well.  We have all seen a poop in the tub, a tantrum on the floor, and have had to deal with spit up on our clothes.  We all have ‘life’ to get through.  And, we all do it the best that we can.  But sometimes, “the days are long.”  And often always, “the years are short.”  So let’s spend this time being there for each other and smiling at our kids.  Let’s not spend any moment giving each other any type of grief or drama.  It is not worth it. 
This is a ‘No mama drama’ free zone.  I wonder if they make a t-shirt?  I’ll wear it proudly. 
I don’t have time for mama drama.  No mom does.  There aren’t enough hours in the day to spend a minute on useless drama.
The funniest thing about it all is that when your kids are born, an entire new life is born.  Mom friends emerge from everywhere.  It is so easy to make friends with other moms because you instantly have a connection.  Something to talk about.  But, this connection does not mean that there is a real friendship.  Because, you can’t be friends with everyone.  And, that’s ok.  Real friends are here for each other to share and connect.  Real friends do not cause grief, in any way.
I recently felt a little mama drama.  It reminded me of a time of being young and petty.  But, I didn’t participate.  You know why, because “the days are long and the years are short.”  I’ve seen drama in high school and I’ve seen it in college.  I’ve participated in it before.  (*Sigh*)  Sorry!  But, who hasn’t?  But now, I don’t have time for it.  And if I come into it, I will walk the other way.  In the end, we all have too much on our plates to have to deal with anything else extra.  I want to share and connect.  I want to smile with other moms and laugh.  I want to respect other moms and get the same in return.  I want to hug their children and have them hug mine.  That’s it.  That’s all. 
Save the drama for your mama. 
Buy the t-shirt.

“The days are long, but the years are short.”  Thank you to my friend who sent me that quote.  Thank you for thinking of me and looking out as a fellow mother.  Thank you for having perspective.  Because, that is the kind of text or email I want; something positive, uplifting, something that will make me smile and realize that real mom friends are here for each other, always.  We are here to make it easier.  We are here to cherish the long days and hold tight to the short years, together.  And any other drama…gets put out with the trash.    

**Send me a quote or a topic on growing ladies and I’ll see if I can incorporate it into my next blog***




2 comments:

  1. Sing it sister. ;-) Like I've said before- you have different friends for different reasons, at different times. If it seems like too much work, too much effort, or you're getting hurt, you just don't participate. No need to have words...it's just easier not to engage. We're all in survival mode. You do what you have to do, hope for the fun/happy moments, share some laughs and maybe a good cry, and just keep going...

    ReplyDelete