Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Shelf Space


My husband said to me the other day, “I feel like I’m competing for shelf space.”  Shelf space?  I didn’t know what that meant at first but then I got it.  (It always takes me a second).  Am I remembering the space marked “wife?’  The role of a woman is so multi-faceted.  It is amazing and hard…amazingly hard.  To be able to, simply stated, spread ourselves and our love is a constant battle.  Someone or something may suffer at times; our hair, our sense of humor, or our husbands?  It is a toss up.  I know I forgot that my sense of humor was behind the gluten-free recipe book in aisle 2.  I found it when the sun came out.  Wait, laughter is somewhere over here…

Our shelves are so full, how do we make sure everyone gets everything they need at a reasonable price?

I think about my shelf space; I was a workingwoman turned mother of 2 in the blink of the eye.  My shelf used to have neatly folded working clothes but have been restocked with diapers, wipes, and ‘mom’ jeans.  One shelf used to be labeled “Chris” but is now labeled “MISCELLANEOUS.”  That shelf is now filled with numbers for the pre-school, where to get the best little girl jewelry and books that start with the title, “How to reduce tantrums…” Sorry Chris.  I labeled it Miscellaneous because I am extremely unorganized.  That is another shelf altogether called, “Get Organized Noreen.”  I won’t even get my label maker out of the sealed box to do that label.  I’ll write it with blue pen that has 2 dribbles of ink left or a purple marker found in ‘clutter’ section.  Priorities.

My point is, we have so much on our mind.  All of us.  Whether we are businesswomen or mothers or both, our shelves are packed with things and ideas and hopes.  We are trying to do it well and that is a tough task to accomplish.  Sometimes, at this stage in life, the best way we can show our best “wife” shelf is to remember to buy his favorite deodorant.  Or to cook his chicken well done the way he likes it.  And sometimes, the best we have has to be enough for everyone.  It has to be.  The kids have to be ok with the fact that my “healthy dinner recipe” shelf is being scribbled over for “how to make chicken nuggets in less than 2 minutes.”  And sometimes we have to shift priorities throughout our life.  The “ambition” role has to be put on hold for “raising little humans” role.  We have to make it work, find our stride, and organize our life in terms of priorities.  Only then will be able to feel satisfied with where we are and what we are doing. 

The woman.  She must do it all.   She is so strong and even if everyone else falls apart, she won’t. (At least not in the thick of it).  I think about the different roles she must juggle and how she never gives up on her task.  And somehow…she gets it done, all with 2,000 things running through her mind.  No matter where she is in life, she is able to put one foot in front of the other and do her jobs at the best of her ability.  If something suffers, she can readjust and try to make sure everyone is happy.  For me, even though my shelf space is a little disorganized it is always marked with the best intentions.     

I know I must make the “Chris” aisle a little bigger and wider.  But I think it might have to bump the “sleep” aisle, which is 2 lanes deep.  Priorities!  Either way, we all have to try and reorganize our lives so that our space makes sense to our families and us.  Think about your shelf space.   What can you reorganize today?     

No comments:

Post a Comment