Saturday, March 16, 2013

It's Time to Begin


“So this is what you meant
When you said that you were spent
And now it's time to build from the bottom of the pit
Right to the top
Don't hold back…”
“It's time to begin, isn't it?”
-Imagine Dragons
This is one of the songs I would listen to as I ran.  Music to me represents the soundtrack of our lives and at the beginning of the 60 day challenge, that is how I felt.  I felt like I was starting at the bottom. I feel differently now. I do feel like my soundtrack has changed to something else.  I don’t know what it is yet.   
So, the 60 day challenge is complete.  Here are my stats:

I lost:
.5 inches in my arms.
 1.25 inches in my chest (which I wouldn’t have minded if it stayed the same)
5 INCHES in my waist.  What?  My friend asked me if my pant size changed.  It didn’t.  BUT, they fit more easily now.  The muffin top is more like a fat-free muffin instead of a high calorie chocolate chip muffin from Dunkin Donuts.  We are getting somewhere…
2.5 inches in my child-bearing hips
…and then my thighs and calves stayed the same. 
I would consider this success.  I was extremely nervous to get measured at the end of the challenge because it was fresh off the footsteps of my vacay, but I was extremely satisfied with the outcome.  More though is how I feel.  I do have more energy and I feel stronger at class.  What I love about The Bar Method is that you don’t think of anything else when you are in class.  You think about your body, squared shoulders, flat back, tucked rear, and not “bailing” as they say.  I don’t have time to think about the kids or my list of things to do.  I think about nothing else except what I am doing in that moment.  THAT, is success enough for me.  Bar is like a vacation every time, but it is a vacation from life with mind, body control as the flight.  And the flight continues well after class ends. 
But, the real key to achievement is “the want.”  Actually wanting to do it is what gets results.  And the truth is that you can’t fake it either.  Sometimes that happens when you hit rock bottom.  You pick yourself up from the cold, hard floor, say to yourself that it’s time, and build yourself up slowly, just like the lyrics to the song.  The reward is more than a medal or a trophy.  The reward is you!  I did it for myself; to get a break from the daily grind, to get in shape and to find something to stick to.  It’s not over but I am not starting at the beginning anymore.  A stronger person is emerging both physically and mentally.  A new me.  I’ll take her; she seems to like to run more with her kids now.    

It’s been a cold winter.  It feels like one of the longest winters ever.  But, the spring is coming.  And even though it is snowing outside my window right now, I know the days will be brighter and longer soon.  And we all will be smiling big bright smiles with the sun shining on our faces.   

*Congratulations to Christina Palmieri for winning the 60 day challenge.  She worked hard and deserved the reward.  She was dedicated to The Bar Method and has become an inspiration to many.  I know she is smiling bright today!*

No comments:

Post a Comment