Friday, March 8, 2013

Beyond Ordinary

Two of my friends just gave birth to baby girls a couple of days apart.  This is all happening as I’m saying to my girls, “No roughhousing in the tub.”  My friend was in labor last night and I’m saying the word, “Roughhousing.”  They are starting at the beginning and I am knee deep in ‘roughhousing’ children.  I am not even sure if people still use this word but it floated out of my mouth as easy as “playdate,” (something else I never thought I’d say).  As these words pass my lips, the girl that walked into college orientation with short white shorts officially disappears, for good.  Someone else entirely emerges with a stern voice and gray hairs. (Well, maybe not gray hairs…I highlight).  Anyway, despite bath time craziness, I am thinking about how amazing it all is; childbirth; friends having babies, etc.  I think about 19 months ago when my second baby girl arrived and almost 4 years since my first. Then I think about how far away I am from all that.  We are getting to a place that feels normal; something my husband and I are soaking up and enjoying; being out of the baby stage.

I say this because my husband and I recently got home from a 5 day vacation in Antigua.  It was well-needed.  The first day, we literally didn’t stop blabbing all day long, in the crystal blue water jumping waves, at dinner on the water, and sitting on the beach on chaise lounges.  BLABBING!  We caught up.  We also put our business arrangement to the side.  I say the statement ‘business arrangement’ because sometimes that is what it feels like.  “You take her to the store, while I take the other one to pick up ____ (fill in blank).  “You do bath tonight and I’ll do it tomorrow.”  “Can you take out the garbage?”  “Did you see that crusty pan in the sink?  Yours.”  Etc.  It feels like a business arrangement sometimes or that we are passing ships in the night.  He comes home with tired eyes and walks in the room to see my arm draped across my forehead, sprawled out on the couch.  Done.  (Exaggerated for point).  He takes one to bed and I take the other (the easier one) and then come downstairs and then pull the blanket up to my ears.  So anyway, this trip was all about checking in, reconnecting, holding hands, talking, and remembering where it all began.  We talked about the old days as well as the new ones.  We talked about before we were parents and after.  It is something every couple should do from time to time.  Check in. 

When we got home, I couldn’t wait to hear the news from my 2 girlfriends who were having baby girls.  I wanted to know every detail.  I can imagine every moment and feeling.  And although my husband and I were so far away from it, both literally and figuratively, I still felt an unimaginable amount of joy and hope for my friends, as if it was my own...so close to home.  The feeling of meeting your new child is a feeling that never ceases to amaze.  And it makes me think about them constantly, even now.  The baby stage is hard but it is also a blur.  Soon enough, their children will be ‘roughhousing’ in the tub.  Pretty soon, they will be where we are, checking in with their spouses after months and months of long, hard days.   I’ve known one of my friends since 7th grade and the other I met as a mom but I love them just the same.  We are ordinary women, mothers.  We haven’t won Oscars or Emmy’s.  We haven’t starred in any reality show down the shore or anywhere else.  But, when I think about how much we have been through, where we have come from, and where we may go, life to me seems beyond ordinary, it feels extraordinary. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment