Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Small Victories


I won’t bore you to tears with the fact that both my girls are sick.  I won’t go into detail about the fact that they both screamed for 30 minutes straight at the doctor yesterday while my 1 year old got her first nebulizer treatment.  They have a combination of sore throats, fevers, wheezing, and an ear infection….oh my.  But, I won’t describe item by item and minute by minute because the fact of the matter is, you’ve been there.  If you have kids, you have to deal with the sicknesses when school starts or the weather gets cooler by the day.  I’m sure a nebulizer has graced your home at some point and you’ve heard the words, “it’s an ear infection,” at least once or twice in your life.  We all have been there.  So, even though I want to vent to someone or something about how hard it is with sick babies, I won’t.  You’re saved. 
BUT, I will thank a few things and people while I stand in the thick of it, trudging through the thick brush of weeds and grass trying to find a clearing to run to or at least a bed to lie in.  For now, I will settle for small victories. 

Candy corn.  Tis the season…if I’m going to hear screaming for an hour straight this morning, I’m going to eat my candy corn with a smile on my face and forget the fact that it is 3 points an ounce on my weight watchers scale.  “How many pieces do you think is an ounce,” I asked my friend…”Probably 3 pieces,” she responded.  GASP!  So, I’ve had about 4,345 points today!  I DON’T CARE!!!!!!!!  They are sick and I NEED it, right?
My Pediatrician.  As both of the girls screamed and carried on, my Pediatrician who is usually stoic and matter of fact, gave me an eyebrow raise of comfort.  It was slight but noticeable.  It made me feel like she felt bad on a personal level.  I put it in my purse for safekeeping.  I’ll whip it out as I give my 1 year old her next treatment.  The thought will keep me cozy during the LOUD SCREAMS and squirms as she throws her head back away from the mask!  “Anything but the mask,” she thinks.  I know it. 
Support.  If you don’t have “mom” friends, get some.  I’m serious.  Put an ad out or something.  There is not another network that I know about that is more encouraging and supportive.  “Let me know if you need anything,” I heard over and over and over again.  “Can I drop something off?”  “Do you want to Skype?”  I mean, really.  This isn’t a small victory, this is a huge win!  Supportive friends help you fight the battles and win the war on nebulizer treatments.  If you ask, they will be at your doorstep with infant Tylenol in one hand and a piece of chocolate truffle in the other.
COFFEE!  I think it was my 3rd or 4th blog that I talked about “breathable moments” Moments for me.  If I can’t take a shower, I can sip coffee slowly and peacefully.  Hazelnut coffee with hazelnut creamer and a piece of Carmel apple Pepperidge farm bread, warm with butter.  Wait, is this bad?  Do I go to food and drink for comfort?  Maybe this is why I can’t lose those pesky 8 pounds. 
Naptime/Quiet time.  I won’t say that it is a good thing but it isn’t a bad thing.  When they are sick, they are tired.  Why do you think I can write?  My 1 year old is sawing wood nicely right now and my 3 year old is spread out over her little chair watching Mickey Mouse with a blanket wrapped around her and a bun in her hair.  I have a slight smile on my face.  This moment will get me through the rest of the day.  “Ahh,” I’ll say to myself, “remember when I was sitting on the couch, sipping coffee and typing away?”  I’ll say that to myself when my babies are at my feet rolling around on the kitchen floor, crying as I make lunch. 
Small victories.  These things will help me get through the next days as we are holed up in our house, too sick to see our friends or go to school.  Hopefully we will emerge into the daylight by Friday.  I’m counting on it.  But, right now, I will rely on Mickey, Dora, Bubble guppies, and I’ll even bring back good old Barney for distraction; anything to get through it.  FYI: If anyone wants to drop off candy corn, I will not say no.  It seems as if my bowl is empty.  J 

No comments:

Post a Comment