Sunday, October 14, 2012

Basic Necessities


Sometimes one gender, as a whole, is a bit easier than the other.  I think about it even as adults.  Men are easier than women, without a doubt.  Drama is kept at a minimum.  Details are left to be determined.  Friendships stay strong and lifelong.  They shrug their shoulders at the problems and are happy with the 3 basic necessities.  (Sports, food, sex).  Easy battle.  No competition. 
But babies…that is still up in the air.
So I was talking to my friend who has a baby boy similar to the age of my 14 month old, a little younger.  I asked her how it is going.  “He’s great,” she said, “he just sits there and smiles most of the time.”  Really?  It is her third child, but still I don’t know what it is like to have a baby that just sits.  My girls were always on the go.  Neither of my girls liked to just “sit” in the stroller although they did tolerate it at times.  They smiled, but whined a lot too.  It made me start thinking about which gender is easier, a girl or a boy?  I feel like I’ve heard a lot of those stories, “my boy just smiles and cuddles.”  Is it true? Are baby boys just like men?  Are they happy with a few basic necessities?
I know it truly depends on the child, but after speaking to other moms and dads over time, I felt like I decided that the boy was the easier baby.  But maybe I was being biased??  Did I think the baby boy was easier because I have girls?  Is the grass greener on that side of the chromosome? 

But, maybe the truth was staring me in the face with a pink polka dotted bow stuck in the middle of her head?
 I posted this question on Facebook, asking the public what they thought.  It was completely split down the middle, which completely bewildered me.  I felt so convinced that a boy was easier.  But, hearing others speak about it, I’m wondering now…do I have it good?
Are girls easier?
Let’s talk about the 4 most important aspects of baby.  Play, Food, sleep, and listening.
Play
 “The Nitty Gritty” When my 3 year old was a baby, she didn’t really get into things.  I didn’t have to baby proof the house, and she didn’t like to get dirty.  Some of my friends were constantly chasing their baby boys and those boys were constantly getting into the “dirt”; eating it, rolling in it, and throwing it.  My baby girl would be wearing a dress and that dress wouldn’t have a lick of dirt on it when we got home.  My friends would have to hose down those boys.  In terms of the rough and tumble aspect of it, the girls win.  And, most girls seem to play independently.  As Alison said on Facebook, “My son was clingy and needy, while my daughter was more independent. She wanted to make us happy, go to sleep on her own” The girls do in fact go off on their own while the boys stay close to mom.  This is just what I noticed in terms of my small world of playgroup and a little beyond.  Cheryl agrees.  As she said, “All I can compare this to is my brother who has the girls while I had the boys...and all I can say is that his sleep and play quietly and watch musicals on Mommy's lap while mine are bundles full of energy, constantly going and don't require much sleep...I hope it all pays off in their teenage years like everyone says” I know if I branched out, it would probably be more split.  But in terms of play, I think…girls win.  Easier to deal with and easier to let them be.
Food
 “Meal time shmeal time”: I think about my friend Amy and her little boy who eats anything in front of him.  And then I think of a few other friends with boys who have trouble with food.  My 3 year old is really tough at meal time.  But, she is an exception because she is allergic to everything and extremely picky because of it.  Boys seem to shovel more food in and eat more variety.  Then again, I’m thinking of my friend’s kids.  Tell me I’m wrong.  But, in terms of eating and in my humble opinion, boys win.  Eating is always more of an issue with girls and most definitely women. 
To Sleep
“Or not to sleep”: I hear more sob stories about boys than I do girls. Boys seem to wake up at 5 am ready to go. I think the boys are more strong willed and active and so they don’t want to sleep as much; they want to go, go, go!  Sleep is for WIMPS!  Both my girls sleep well and love it.  They point to their bed at bedtime.  It’s time.  They really don’t give me much of a problem.  I think the girls win in this category as well, hands down.  I guess they are dreaming of prince Charming as he burps and slugs his milk bottle right now...
Listening Skills
Do girls take direction better?  Alexis from Facebook says, “Undoubtedly the girl.... wants to please, hates to be reprimanded, independent but takes direction. My son on the other hand cannot be convinced to do something he doesn't want to do, does not fear repercussion, walks to the beat of his own drummer. I remember when my 3 year old was 15 months; she went running down the driveway.  I yelled, “Stop.” Just once and she stopped.  She never ever went into the street if I said, “stop.”  She was a fantastic listener.  I think girls do listen better.  I think they listen better as babies, toddlers and adults.  I think women even beat men in this category, (Me excluded—I’m a terrible listener).  I think it is ingrained in the girls at birth.  They listen better, take direction better, and acknowledge you when you talk to them.  All ages.  Girls win.  Sorry Boys.
My daughters are pretty independent.  They sleep well.  They listen, for the most part and take direction.  They do normal tantrums and cries, but I think every household has to deal with that.  Maybe girls are easier…right now….but the teenage years will be reversed, I’m sure.  When they are 15 and 13, I’m sure I’ll be singing a different tune.  The teenage boys will be going to football practice and eating a double cheeseburger for dinner and slapping high fives, while my girls will be dramatically throwing their purses on the bed, crying about Suzie Q from gym class, and picking up one green bean at dinner chomping it while rolling her eyes at how dorky I am.  I know it’s coming.  I guess I’ll enjoy this moment right now. 

Baby girls win!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's more an astrological sign thing vs a gender thing a lot of the time. Although, I believe you're right in terms of energy. E & his male friends are constantly active and on the go- always were.

    We were at a bday party yesterday and where that was enough stimulation for most of the girls, three of us with boys were still looking for something to do after. We went bowling. Then we went to eat and two of the boys were still bouncing off the walls. Even at the party, the bday girl's mom brought in entertainment with live animals. By the middle of the guy's presentation there were about 15 girls still sitting and the boys were on the swingset, running behind the bushes and in the bounce house.

    So yeah, only having one boy, I can say- he plays independently- but I feel that's because I "trained" him to do so. He'll watch a movie and play with his toys for 90 min before calling "MOMMY!". But, that's because it's part of his morning routine while I'm getting ready. He's not going to sit quiet for 90 min at just some random time during the day. He's not going to sit nice and color. Ever.

    But- I do think it's also just a personality thing. While MOST of the boys E is friends with are as energetic & strong willed, there are those few boys he hangs with who are more docile, quiet, do their own thing, not wild, etc. Ethan was always a "runner" to where I needed a leash. I know many moms in my boat. But then I see one here or there that just stands there. No need to be ready to drop everything because their boy just took off out of nowhere. Just. Standing. There. I'm always amazed at that, but it happens. So who knows- nature, nurture, gender, signs...I think it's a combo of all.

    ReplyDelete