Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Lucky

I just re-read my earlier blog, “Grasping at Straws.”  It still makes me cry.  It is almost surreal.  Like I can’t believe that happened to me.  And now, as I talk about being a mom and the day to day grind, I feel like I can’t forget where I came from.  How I got here.  What made me, me.  If I forget about that experience, I will forget to be grateful.  I will forget how lucky I am. 

My friend emailed me to tell me she sent that blog to a friend who is currently suffering from a miscarriage.  I felt real pain for a person that I don’t know.  I felt it.  In that moment, I wanted to reach out to this stranger so badly to tell her that everything will be ok.  I wanted to promise her that she will get her baby, even if I don’t know it is true.  I just wanted to make her better, this stranger.  The truth is, the 4th of July reminds me of my first loss so it has been at the forefront of my mind.  My husband and I took a trip to Bermuda right after that first miscarriage.  I remember sitting on the beach, watching the fireworks, and feeling happy and sad in one moment; fearful and content.  I had no idea what was in store for me.  It makes me realize one thing, I am lucky.
July 4, 2006 Bermuda
A close friend of mine had fertility issues and struggled to get pregnant for a while.  She just about gave up.  But, I told her that she cannot give up for her baby.  She had to keep trying and fighting for it.  I convinced her to keep trying.  “Just one more round of IVF,” I said.  “You can do It.”   I knew that she would get her baby.  I felt it in my bones.  Her twins will be celebrating their 2nd birthday in September.  She didn’t give up.  And I realize, we are lucky.

 A friend of mine just had a miscarriage.  It felt strange to be on the other side.  Normally, it would be me sitting in the hospital, feeling the loss, but it wasn’t me this time.  I was on the other side.  My heart broke for my friend.  I am supportive.  I am there.  I understand.  It wasn’t me.  It felt weird.  But it made me realize one thing, I am lucky. 
This morning my 3 year old woke up in my bed.  She had a nightmare in the middle of the night so we brought her in.  I had to wake her up around 9 am to start getting ready for her dance camp.  I whispered to her, “It’s time to get up,” she woke up without missing a beat, “ugh,” she said, “that was a loooooong rest, I had.”  I laughed out loud.  I mean, really laughed.  And then she said, “Look at that picture on the wall, that was from your wedding day.”  I mean, who wakes up full force?  I laughed harder and harder.  “Oh my God,” I thought.  “How lucky am I?!!”
Getting pregnant and pregnancy in general is hard.  It really is.  It is a process.  It really isn’t fun, if you ask me.  But, it adds to your story.  It makes you, you.  I hope that nobody has to feel what I felt.  But, I know that isn’t the case.  Women are feeling it all the time.  But, I hope they never give up for what they want in life.  I didn’t.  I kept fighting, picking myself up, dusting off, and getting in those trenches again and again.  And look at me now.  My 3 year old daughter told me today that I’m the best mommy in the world.  My other almost 1 year old daughter put her lips up to mine to give me a kiss for the first time today.  I fought for them.  I never gave up.  I am lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment