Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Resolutions


New Year’s Resolution #1: Focus.  Stop being the nutty professor.  I was such a scatter brain in 2013.  For example, I lost my keys once a week.  I would leave the gym; get to my car only to search my bag for five minutes.  I would then go back to the locker room to find them next to the sink.  How?  I misplaced my phone at least 5 times a day.  I would find random pieces of jewelry in random places (like my linen closet).  I would forget that I RSVP’ed to an event and miss it.  I would get a text the next day, “Where were you?”  Where was I for what?  Oh…that thing.  I totally meant to go…

So many balls in the air…so little time.  I can definitely change that this year.  Organize.  Focus.  Or else I have my neighbor who reminds me.  ;)

New Year’s Resolution #2: Don’t let my 2 year old drive me to drink. 

New Year’s Resolution #3: Patience

Happy New Year!  Those resolutions are kind of serious, but not really extremely deep.  Of course my 2 year old will not drive me to drink, although it seems like she gets me close when she squirts ketchup down my shirt on a random Tuesday.  The truth is, 2013 was a good year but the last month of it was rough.  I lost my way.  Lots of different stresses found their way to me in a short amount of time.  It felt like everything came at the wrong time, but thinking about it now makes me realize that maybe it came at just the right time.  It made me really look at everyone else’s resolution and with that it seems that I was able to let my real resolutions emerge...and heal.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks to everyone who sent me comments and messages of their New Year resolutions.  I loved seeing what other Moms wanted to resolve to do in 2014.  I loved seeing that it was more than just the cliché resolutions, there was thought involved.  Words like serenity, presence of mind, and perspective struck me.  These moms were really thinking about how to change for the better and not by changing something on the outside but the inside.  It always starts within.

After looking over what everyone wrote, I found 3 themes for 2014.

The first one is Acceptance.  I think we can all resolve to accept ourselves.  Accept our faults, accept our bodies, and accept our self worth.  With acceptance comes everything else.  If we accept ourselves how we are, changing becomes easier.  I accept me BUT…I can improve on this.  It doesn’t seem like such a hard thing to do, you know, change…when we give ourselves permission to love ourselves first.  I accept my mistakes.  I accept the fact that I had 3 miscarriages, 2 children, 2 c-sections, and a body that shows it.  My war wounds.  I accept the fact that I cannot be the perfect wife or mother at all times.  But, if we accept ourselves, I think that will help us all relax a little and find balance; knowing we do not have to do it all or be everything for everyone all the time.  Knowing we are ok if we don’t.  I hope the people in my life can accept me, mistakes and all.      

The second one is Simplify.   Google it.  Do you have an app for that?  I tweeted that out.  Did she give you a thumbs up?  Too much time looking at the phone.  Too many apps.  Too much information, not enough clarity.  In order to simplify, we need to give ourselves a break from social media and this idea of needing or wanting what others have.  The greatest thing about simplicity is that it doesn’t take a lot to achieve.  You do not have to make a lot of money to simplify.  You just have to find time for gratitude.  Or, like my mom always says, “be value-centered.”  When we remember our values, we are able to gain perspective.  Let’s take 10 minutes to ourselves where we can just sit and think in the quiet.  Think about what we truly value in our life.  Not things.  People.  Not apps but conversations.  Listen more.  Keep our heads up when we walk.  Appreciate the little things in life.  Watch and see.  Seems simple enough.

The final one is Detox.  And I don’t necessarily mean this by doing a cleanse or drinking a special juice all day.  I mean this by removing toxins from your life; anything that makes you unhappy and unhealthy.   Is there someone who mistreats you?  Well, don’t let them.  Do you want to be healthier?  Then don’t go for the foods that make you feel bad.  A lot of moms said they want to be healthier and more consistent in 2014.  Well then, remove the things from your life that prevent that.  This might be the hardest one to achieve because it makes you step out of your comfort zone.  Just remember, you allow others to treat you poorly if you let them.  After all, if we accept ourselves and simplify our life, getting rid of anything toxic, should be easy.  Good luck.

I just want to take the time to thank all of my readers who followed me from Growing Ladies and supported me in Mommy’wood.  I love writing for you and I’m excited to share more stories and ideas in 2014.

 I hope everyone finds the peace and serenity they are searching for this year.  I hope I do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment