Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Having it All

If you missed it on http://www.ridgewoodmoms.com/#!mommywood/c1ex9  Here it is...
 
 
The age old question arises…can the woman and/or the mom have it all?

I’m sitting here writing this with a pile of laundry on the bed next to me, literally a pile; little toddler bathing suits and loose socks missing the match.  The nitty gritty of life is exactly that, but the truth is, even when women have it all, they still have to get through the pile of laundry.  I guess if you truly do have it all, you just have more laundry to do.

Moms these days have it rough!  We live in a day where we aren’t enough UNLESS…

Unless we have the family and career…

Unless we have 4 children who all become doctors…

Unless we can cook a stew and stir jam for 10 hours…

Unless we have it all, know it all, and do it all, we aren’t enough.  Or at least, that is what we are made to feel.  That, it seems, is what other websites and news reports are here to tell us.  I don’t buy it!  It’s HOGWASH!

The problem is we get constant reminders every day. Betty Sue had a birthday party for her 6 year old with a CAMEL.  Can you believe it?  Jane over there ordered the bouncy house extravaganza for her daughter’s party, and she works full time as a corporate lawyer, can you imagine?  Pfft…I didn’t even blow dry my hair today!  “How do they do it,” you ask yourself.  They aren’t DOING it.  You know what they are doing, playing up their strengths.  They know what they can do and they do those things well.  It doesn’t mean they are better!!  Good for them for knowing what they can do well.  Let’s applaud them.

We all have strengths and weaknesses.  I know I am not a natural born Host.  I’m not.  I would rather walk across hot rocks than host a party.  I do it, yes, but people aren’t going home talking about my hosting capabilities in their gossip circles. “Did you see Noreen’s homemade ice sculpture etched into a swan and freshly baked cupcakes in the form of Elmo?”  Not happening. I am aware of it.  You won’t find me playing that up.  But, I know I can sit with a friend at a table with a cup of tea and listen.  I play that up.  I’m a good problem solver.

I know I don’t always feed my children organic meals even though I would like to.  But, I will sing to them while they are on the swing and they love it.  Fine by me.

I’m aware of what gives me the gold star and what makes me exit stage left. 

We all have hopes and dreams.  We are all here to find our purpose.  So, what does having it all mean?  Does it mean we have to work 9-5, come home to bathe our children, eat a healthy organic meal and then collapse on the bed, stating we are too tired for anything else?  Wink wink.  Or, does it mean having 2.5 children and staying at home to cook well balanced meals and dress our kids in proper attire, taking them to the park and chasing them around?  What does it mean?   It can mean both or neither.  It is different for every single mom out there, every single person, every single WOMAN!

Having it all means knowing who we are.  It means finding balance.  End.of.story.

It DOES NOT have to be only if you can make strawberry jam during naptime.  It DOES NOT mean you have to wear a fitted pink dress and an apron while you host a birthday party extravaganza.  Unless that is what you love to do and what you do best?!  Get it. 

Knowing who you are and what you are here for is empowering.  Knowing your strengths and understanding your weaknesses; contributing to the greater good; raising your children to the BEST of YOUR ability, that is it.  We can’t worry about Betty Sue with the perfectly highlighted streaks in her hair.  We can’t look at Jane with her perfect party planning capabilities.  Maybe they are dead fish in the sack?  Or maybe they have closets cluttered to the tippy top?!  Their weaknesses are hidden under a heavy quilt of self preservation.  It’s fine.  We don’t have to know them.  Who cares! 

We can’t look at any of it.  We need to look at ourselves. 

What do you bring to the table as a mom?  What do you offer as a woman? 

If you offer yourself in all of your wonderful glory, you are offering enough.  You are enough! 

If you know who you are, where you are going, and what makes you tick, whether you have 1 child, 3, or a boat load, then I truly believe (piles of laundry or not) that you are here in real life, living, loving, and in turn… having it all.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment